|Lockheed Lodestar 18-56
The 3rd Lodestar to be purchased by Lawson Field, BUV arrived in Gisborne direct from Mascot, Sydney on 3rd May 1958. Again
this flight was conducted by Bob Allen and Charles Brodie. Reported to be the only International flight to have ever landed in
Originally built as a C-59, it went to the US Army Air Corps, designated 41-29631. After a short period, it was lend-leased to the RAF
as EW984 until the end of WW2.
It then went to the Spanish Air Force, registered as EC-22 before being converted to an Airliner for Compania Auxiliar Nationale
During this time it was converted to a C-60 (18-56 status).
It returned to the USA when leases expired and was registered as N9930F. It was purchased by Minnesota Airmotive Inc. 1st
Purchased by Fieldair in 1957 and ferried to Bankstown where it was converted to a Topdresser.
It flew for Airland and Fieldair and clocked up 9,000 hours topdressing in 14 years of service.
It was withdrawn from use 28th November 1972. Bob Allen flew BUV to Gisborne 8th January 1973 where it was later put on poles
at the entrance to Gisborne Airport.
It is now housed in the GAPS Museum at Gisborne Airport.